Tuesday, May 19, 2026
25.6 C
Lagos

WorldRemit Seeks Urgent Restoration of Money Transfers to Nigeria

WorldRemit, a leading online remittance provider, is calling for the urgent restoration of money transfers to Nigeria as draconian new rules leave virtually all money transfer operators (MTOs) unable to provide services to the West African country.
Only three companies – Western Union, MoneyGram and Ria – will be able to continue operations, following an extreme and unexpected move by the Central Bank of Nigeria.
WorldRemit, in common with all other international MTOs, has been instructed by its local correspondents that transfers to Nigeria will no longer be processed and is, accordingly, suspending services immediately.
WorldRemit founder and CEO, Ismail Ahmed said: “This move is arbitrary, inexplicable and hugely detrimental to the Nigerian diaspora who rely on hundreds of money transfer companies and banks, providing them with choice, convenience and competitive pricing.
“Even now, as we suspend our service, there is no clarity on why this sudden change has happened. If it is on the basis of new rules, there was no warning. If it is a re-interpretation of old rules, local correspondent networks and banks should have been forewarned.
“This reverses the progress made by the country when the Nigeria Central Bank banned Western Union’s exclusivity agreements that had created a near-monopolistic position in the international money transfer market. Western Union controlled 78% of the market share when CBN outlawed exclusivity agreements with local banks.”
Until now, money transfer operators such as WorldRemit operated via partnerships with licensed local correspondents in Nigeria, enabling transfer of funds to local bank accounts – providing a more efficient service than the SWIFT infrastructure.
WorldRemit has also raised concerns about a 2015 memorandum from the Central Bank of Nigeria, setting out minimum requirements for companies offering international Mobile Money transfer services to Nigeria.
The guidelines specify that any company offering Mobile Money transfers must have minimum net assets of $1bn and have been operating for more than 10 years.
WorldRemit is the world leader in transfers to Mobile Money accounts and had been planning to launch remittances to Mobile Money services in Nigeria.
“It looks like all systems in Nigeria are currently geared against encouraging new entrants and competition in the mobile remittance markets. That is worrying in the extreme,” said Ismail Ahmed.
WorldRemit sends more than 40,000 money transfers to Nigeria every month.
Nigeria received more than $20bn in remittances annual from migrants around the world.

spot_img
spot_img
spot_img

Hot this week

CIG Motors: Pay ₦3m For a Brand New Car in May Splash Promo on Electric, Petrol Vehicles

New campaign introduces EasyPay auto-financing, major discounts and nationwide...

Understanding Why Corporates Need Credit Rating

In today’s dynamic financial landscape, silence leaves room for...

Distinguished Industry Veteran, Olusola Teniola, to Chair NDSF 2026

The organising committee of the 2026 Nigeria DigitalSENSE Forum...

The Nigeria Prize for Science & Innovation Hits New Peak as 2026 Edition Attracts 237 Entries

The 2026 edition of The Nigeria Prize for Science...

Heirs Insurance Group Named among Africa’s Fastest-Growing Companies in Financial Times Ranking

Heirs Insurance Group has achieved a landmark double recognition,...

Topics

Non-payment of Salaries: Matters Arising

At first, it was a rumour. Then, the rumor became stronger. And then, the rumour became political allegation that the federal and state governments could no longer pay salaries because public funds were deployed by the two major political parties to prosecute the 2015 general elections. Today, the situation has become a national embarrassment that Nigeria cannot pay its civil servants-from federal government to state governments. While actual figures of the total indebtedness at the federal and state levels is difficult to ascertain, various media reports quoted N110 billion as the total sum due to the unfortunate government employees.

NAICOM Chief, Thomas, to Chair Business Journal Public Presentation Sept 16

Mr. O. S Thomas Commissioner for Insurance/CEO National Insurance Commission (NAICOM) Mr....

BPE Earns Kudos from Ondo Gov for Privatisation Drive

Ondo State Governor, Arakunrin Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, has commended the Bureau...

NCRIB Commends NAICOM, NIA on Compulsory Insurance

The Nigerian Council of Registered Insurance Brokers (NCRIB) has...

TOTAL Group in Nigeria Marks World Malaria Day 2018

The Total Group in Nigeria which comprise of Total...

NAICOM Seeks Strong Institutions, Collaboration in Insurance Sector

The Commissioner for Insurance, Mr. Olusegun Ayo Omosehin, who...

Japan Supports North-East Rehabilitation with $1.5m

The Government of Japan has released $1,500,000 to fund...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img