Sunday, February 22, 2026
27.1 C
Lagos

The Fate of Oil in 2017

The Journey in 2016

It was a roller coaster year for oil prices. And little wonder.

Iranian oil flooded onto world markets after sanctions were lifted, OPEC squabbled over production levels and then ended the year with a rare agreement to cut supply.

The icing on the cake: big producers outside the cartel promised to help curb output and drain a huge oil glut.

After starting the year around $30 a barrel, prices plunged to $26 in February — the lowest since 2003 — before climbing back above $50 this month.

So what Does 2017 Hold?

Leading industry experts say prices should stay above $50 if oil producing nations stick to their guns and cut supply by nearly 1.8 million barrels per day.

“I know the countries are serious,” BP (BP) CEO Bob Dudley told CNNMoney in Abu Dhabi. “Notices of curtailment have gone out from this region. Russia is clearly very serious about participating in that …all the ingredients are there to do it.”

“There is no question in my mind that if this agreement stays intact the floor will be around $50,” Dudley said.

Efforts to curb supply should mean the global crude oil glut will disappear in the first half of next year, according to the International Energy Agency. That’s much earlier than it had previously predicted.

Again, as long as OPEC — led by Saudi Arabia — sticks to its word.

That’s no small caveat. OPEC’s record on that score isn’t good.

Since 1989, OPEC has hammered out several production cuts like the one it just negotiated in November. But in that period, the cartel has produced more oil than its quota in all but a handful of months.

“OPEC (countries) never holds to their deals. They always cheat,” said John La Forge, Head of Real Asset Strategy at Wells Fargo.

Still, there’s a lot at stake for producing countries whose budgets have been hammered, and oil companies who have slashed investment in their businesses.

If the production cuts hold, business intelligence firm Wood Mackenzie says the oil and gas industry could see positive cash flow for the first time since 2014.

“Overall 2017 will be a year of stability and opportunity for oil and gas companies in positions of financial strength,” said Tom Ellacott, Head of Corporate Analysis Research at Wood Mackenzie. “More players will look at opportunities to adapt and grow their portfolios.”

spot_img
spot_img
spot_img

Hot this week

Mutual Benefits Begins 2026 with ₦5.9bn January Claims Settlement

Mutual Benefits Assurance Plc, a leading Nigerian insurance company,...

Unity, Providus Banks Merger a Done Deal as Integration Progresses

Following the recently held Court-Ordered Meeting and subsequent overwhelming...

NCC Seeks Stakeholders’ Input on National Telecoms Policy Review 

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has called on interested...

CBN Chief, Olayemi Cardoso, Tasks Central Banks, DFIs on Africa’s Growth

The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Mr....

NCC Management Hosts ATCON EXCO on Courtesy Visit

L- R: Abraham Oshadami, Executive Commissioner Technical Services, Nigerian...

Topics

Actions Taken by NCDMB Towards Addressing Sterling Oil’s Non-Compliance Issues

The Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board (NCDMB) has...

IATA Forecasts 8.2bn Air Passengers by 2037

The International Air Transport Association (IATA) revealed that present...

Access Holdings Records N3.9tn Gross Earnings in 9 Months

Access Holdings Plc has announced its nine-month ended September...

Wema Bank’s 5for5 final Promo Draw: Last Set of Winners Emerge in Season 2

From left to right:  Chief Experience Officer, Wema Bank,Adeyemi...

Bayelsa State Deputy Gov Leads Delegation to Unity Bank on Sport Dev

L-R: Odigie William Otaigboria Innocent, Zonal Head, Port Harcourt...

Breaking News: Etisalat Now Open for Foreign Investment

Foreigners can now investment in Etisalat as the UAE government has lifted restrictions which had blocked foreign investors from buying a stake in the country's largest telco, Etisalat. There is however a 20 percent limit on how much of the company can be owned by foreigners. Currently, Etisalat is 60 percent owned by the government, with a 40 percent stake listed, but restricted to UAE nationals. "The federal government decided to lift the restriction of Etisalat stock ownership by local institutions, foreign institutions and expatriate individuals provided that such ownership does not exceed 20 percent," Etisalat said in a statement to Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange. Etisalat added that the Emirates Investment Authority (EIA) does not intend to reduce its 60 percent stake at the moment.

Cost of Global Cybercrime to Reach $2.1tr in 2019

By Doros Hadjizenonos Regional Director – SADC at Fortinet As the...

Red Star Express Commemorates 25th Anniversary

One of Nigeria’s leading logistics company Red Star Express...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img