The Federal Government has vehemently denied reports that it raised import duties on food items and certain luxury goods.
An official statement from the government read in part:
The attention of the Federal Ministry of Finance has been drawn to recent publications in the media, regarding the 2016 Fiscal Policy Measures (FPM), to the effect that the Federal Government has raised import duties on food items and luxury goods.
The Federal Ministry of Finance wishes to categorically state that the correct position is that, the 2016 FPM did not involve any upward review of tariff on the affected food items and luxury goods. On the contrary, tariffs for those items remained at their 2015 levels, while duties for some other items were actually reduced. A comparison of the 2015 Fiscal Policy Measures Circular dated 20th March, 2015 and the 2016 Fiscal Policy Measures dated 29th November, 2016 will affirm this position.
With regards to the 20 per cent duty on pharmaceutical products in the 2016 Fiscal Policy Measures, it should be noted that pharmaceutical products were already in the import prohibition list.
This is in support of Government’s intention give further encouragement and desirable protection to local manufacturers of Pharmaceutical products and ensure that those who, despite the prohibition, import such products under special permission, pay the required duties.
This clarification is aimed at providing the Nigerian media and other stakeholders with the correct information on such sensitive matters and to urge all interested parties to cross-check information with relevant authorities for accuracy. This is especially necessary at these challenging times when the Federal Government is putting extra efforts to encourage our local industries and manufacturers.
The accompanying documents, which could also be accessed on the website of the Federal Ministry of Finance, contain the details of the 2015 and 2016 Fiscal Policy Measures for the records.
SALISU NA’INNA DAMBATTA
IMPORT PROHIBITION LIST (TRADE)
- Live or Dead Birds including Frozen Poultry H.S. Code 0105.1100 – 0105.9900, 0106.31.00.00 – 0106.39.00.00, 0207.11.00.00 – 0207.26.00.00 and 0210.99.00.00
- Pork, Beef, H.S. Codes 0201.10.00.00 – 0204.50.00.00, 0206.10.00.00 – 0206.90.00.00, 0210.10.00.00 – 0210.20.00.00
- Bird Eggs H.S. Code 0407.11.00.00 – 0407.90.00.00; excluding hatching eggs
- Refined vegetable oil 1507.10.00.00-1516.20.90.00.but excluding refined linseed, castor and olive oil. Crude vegetable oil are however NOT banned from importation.
- Cane or beet sugar and chemically pure sucrose, in solid form containing added flavouring or colouring matter H. S. Code 1701.91.10.00 – 1701.99.90.00 in retail packs
- Cocoa butter, Powder and cakes H.S. Codes 1802.00.00.00 – 1803.20.00.00, 1805.00.10.00 – 1805.00.90.00, 1806.10.00.00 – 1806.20.00.00 and 1804.00.10.00 – 1804.00.90.00
- Spaghetti/Noodles H.S. Code 1902.11.00.00 – 1902.30.00.00
- Fruit Juice in retail Packs H.S. Code 2009.11.10.00 – 2009.11.90.00 – 2009.90.90.00
- Waters, including mineral waters and aerated Waters, containing added sugar or sweetening matter or flavoured, ice snow H.S. Codes 2201.10.10.00 – 2201.90.00.00, other non-alcoholic beverages H.S. Codes 2202.10.00.00 – 2202.90.90.00.(but excluding energy or health drinks – liquid dietary supplements e.g. Power Horse, Red Ginseng, etc) H.S. Code 2202.90.10.00 and Beer and stout (Bottled, Canned or otherwise packed) H.S. Code 2203.00.10.00 – 2203.00.90.00.
- Bagged Cement H.S. Code 2523.29.00.00
- Medicament falling under Headings 3003 & 3004 such as:
- a) Paracetamol tablets Syrups
- b) Cotrimozazole tablets and Syrups
- c) Metronidazole tablets and Syrups
- d) Chloroquine tablets and Syrups
- e) Haematinic formulations:
(i) Ferrous sulphate and ferrous gluconate tablets
(ii) Folic acid tablets
(iii) Vitamin B Complex tablets (except modified release
- f) Multivitamin tablets, capsules and syrups (except special formulations)
- g) Aspirin tablets (except modified release formulations and soluble aspirin)
- h) Magnesium trisilicate tablets and suspensions
- i) Piperazine tablets and syrups
- j) Levamisole tablets and syrups
- k) Ointments penicillin/gentamycin
- l) Pyrantel pamoate tablets and syrups
- m) Intravenous Fluids (Dextrose, Normal Saline etc.
- Waste pharmaceuticals H.S. Code 3006.92.00.00
- Soaps and Detergents H.S. Code 3401.11.10.00 – 3402.90.00.00 in retail packs
- Mosquito repellant Coils H.S. Code 3808.91.17.00 (mosquito coils)
- Sanitary Wares of Plastics H.S. Code 3922.10.00.00 – 3922.90.00.00 and Domestic Articles and Wares of Plastic H.S. Code 3924.10.00.00 – 3924.90.90.00 (but excluding Baby Feeding Bottles 3924.90.20.00) and (flushing cistern and waterless toos toilets).
- Rethreaded and used Pneumatics tyres but excluding used trucks tyres for rethreading of size 11.00 x 20 and above 4012.20.10.00
- Corrugated paper and Paper boards H.S. Code 4808.10.00.00 and Cartons, boxes and cases made from Corrugated paper and Paper boards H.S. Code 4819.10.00.00, Toilet paper, Cleansing or facial tissue H.S. Code 4818.10.00.00 – 4818.90.00.00 excluding baby diapers and incotinent pads for adult use 9619.00.22.00 and Exercise Books H.S. 4820.20.00.00
- Telephone Recharge Cards and Vouchers 4911.99.91.00
- Carpets and other textile floor coverings falling under H.S. Code 5701.10.00.00 – 5705.00.00.00
- All types of footwears, bags and suitcases, H.S. Code 6401.10.90.00 – 6405.90.90.00 and 4202.11.90.00-4202.99.90.00 but excluding safety shoes used in oil industries, sports shoes, canvass shoes and all Completely Knocked Down (CKD), blanks and parts.
- Hollow glass bottles of a capacity exceeding 150 mls (0.15 litres) of all kinds used for packaging beverages by Breweries and other beverages and drinks company H.S. Code 7010.90.49.00 and 7010.90.31.00.
- Used compressors H.S. Code 8414.30.90.00, Used Air Conditioners H.S. Codes 8415.10.10.00 – 8415.90.90.00 and used Fridges/Freezers H.S. Code 8418.10.10.00 – 8418.69.00.00
- Used motor vehicles above 15 years from the Year of manufacture H.S. Code 8703.10.00.00 – 8703.90.00.00
- Furniture H.S. Code 9401.1000.00 – 9401.9000.99 and 9403.1000 – 9404.9000, but excluding Baby walkers, laboratory cabinets such as microscope table, fume cupboards, laboratory benches (9403), stadium chairs, height adjustment device, base sledge, seat frames and control mechanism, arm guide and head guides. Also excluded are; skeletal parts of furniture such as blanks, upholstered or unfinished part of metal, plastics, veneer, chair shell etc.
- Ball point pen and parts including refills (excluding tip)